Company: Fresh Roots Urban Farm Society
Business Information: Our Vision is Good Food For All, which is realized when youth have the skills, capacity, and will to act as food citizens and land stewards, to grow and share healthy food for themselves, their families, and the planet! To make this vision a reality, we cultivate educational farms and programs where students dig into meaningful connections with the land, food, and each other, inspiring communities to build just food systems.
Description: The Farm Manager (FM) at FRUFS serves our Good Food For All program with the understanding that everyone deserves access to healthy food, land, and community. Reporting to the Executive Director, this is a key manager role where you are responsible for growing, selling, and sharing food within the communities where we farm; managing a team to lead our educational farms towards our production and educational goals; and helping make our farm spaces exceptional examples of educational farms on school grounds.
- Location: East & South Vancouver
- Application Deadline: Applications will be reviewed starting on October 21st and on an ongoing basis after that date until filled
- Wage: $21-25/hour, DOE plus Extended Health Benefits program available after probationary period, access to staff culls, and market discounts.
- Job terms: Parental Leave Coverage January 16 – November 1, 2023 with opportunity for orientation with the outgoing FM (2 weeks) in November, 2022
- Hours: Average 37.5 hrs / week, flexible scheduling. Hours may fluctuate during the summer and weekend work may be required.
Remote work and use of a personal computer will be required
Fresh Roots’ farms have a 10+ year legacy of schoolyard cultivation and youth outreach. As the FM you are the steward of our schoolyard farms and have the following responsibilities:
- Planning & Administration
- Site Management
- Staff Management
- Represent Fresh Roots
- +1 Year Farm Management Experience; with 2 years applied farming skills
- +1 Year experience supervising staff and organizing farm work
- Experience in selling farm produce (can be through markets, Community Supported Agriculture Programs, farm gate, retail or other)
- Passion for farm, outdoor, and/or environmental education
- Physically able to work outdoors in all weather conditions for up to 9 hours a day
- Class 5 License or better and able to drive a large truck with a trailer
- Able to lift 50lbs
- Must pass a criminal record check to be able to work with children and vulnerable populations
- Meet Canada Summer Jobs Requirements (preferred)
- Enjoys working in a grassroots non-profit with a diverse group of people
- Able to work independently and as part of a small team
- Able to organize, multi-task, prioritize duties, delegate, problem-solve and remain flexible within a fast-paced and changing environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills across various mediums
- Focus on internal and external client service
Click here for the full job description: https://freshroots.bamboohr.com/careers/53